What can I do RIGHT NOW?
- Display books about creating
- Highlight free digital tools students can use to create
- Create a bulletin board of students and their creations
- Start a Wonder Wall where students post their questions (and then help them answer the questions)
- Do a Bag Challenge – What can you create with just this bag of these materials?
- Cover tables with bulletin board paper and let the kids draw an imaginary world.
- Create a DIY Inventor’s Kit with items from your junk drawer.
- Have a take-apart station with items that don’t work (reverse engineering).
- Use rocks, acorns, leaves, and twigs to create nature masterpieces.
- Ask for donated scrapbook supplies for creating bookmarks or mini-books.
- Ask your principal and colleagues if there are extra materials around the school
(ex. K’Nex kits, science kits, math blocks, paper)
- Kindness Carts – ex. Cards for veterans, an ornament for someone at a nursing home
- Challenge Cards – ex. Build a bridge out of paper. Whose bridge can hold the most blocks?
- Collaborative art projects – Design a leaf for a group tree, add a bird, write your name in graffiti
- Recycled art – ex. Turn old magazines into beaded jewelry, Blackout Poetry with discarded books, Milk Carton creations
- Home challenges – ex. repurpose a plastic bottle, create something out of newspaper, fashion show out of recycled materials
- Check out Stephanie Bode’s Maker Symbaloos at tinyurl.com/bodesymbaloo
- Makey Makey projects are at labz.makeymakey.com
- Apps like PBS Scratch Jr
- LEGO walls
- Building materials left out on tops of bookcases
- Magnetic Marble Trax on AC unit