Today our staff had its monthly Faculty Focus session after school. Teachers and teaching assistants rotate through different rooms for mini staff development sessions. The makerspace was one of several activities available and it was so much fun sharing some of our new materials. The information below is from my handout.
8 Things to Know About Our Makerspace
1. Kids LOVE making!
2. Engineering is a big part of STEM/STEAM.
3. It doesn’t have to cost a lot to make. Use what you have in your room to make a special area. Ask for donations. Kids also like to create on the computers and on iPads.
4. FAIL is not a bad word. It just means First Attempt in Learning.
5. We’ve won THREE 3-D printers!
6. We have a well-stocked makerspace in the Media Center. We are working on a STEAM Lab for weekly classroom visits.
7. We have tons of resources for you to use during open times in the Media Center or you may borrow something for a couple of days.
• Green screen fabric
• Art and crafting supplies
• Snap Circuits Jr (8 sets)
• Hot Wheels Speedometry class kit
• LittleBits Synth (5 sets)
• MaKey MaKey (7 sets)
• GoldieBlox kits
• Roominate kits
• LEGO bricks
• Duplo blocks
• Lincoln Logs
• Magnetic blocks
• Wooden blocks
• Brain Flakes
• And More!
8. You may also use and test out materials in the Media Center.
• Silhouette Laser Cutter
• Robots like BB-8 Sphero, Ozobots, Bee-Bot, Pro-Bot, and the Finch robot
• Kindle Fire
• Animation Software
• View-Master Virtual Reality Goggles
• Boogie Board Play & Trace
We add new materials each month. Almost everything has come from DonorsChoose, contests, grants, donations, Book Fair funds, and other outside resources.
Just let me know how I can help and Have Fun!