Saturday, October 3, 2015

Why a Makerspace in the Library?

Why are libraries hosting makerspaces?  I was fine with the addition, but I do realize some people may question it. I was reading School Libraries and Makerspaces: Can They Coexist? when I had that light bulb moment.  

Author Josh Weisgrau states, "Libraries and makerspaces provide equitable access to materials and resources." We provide a wide range of resources that our patrons probably could not afford to purchase on their own. Many of our students do not have access to these makerspace resources either. 

Our school's makerspace primarily consisted of items from my boys' collections of LEGO, Duplo, and Thomas.  I added some arts and crafts materials and have slowly added coding resources.  

We are fortunate to have the additions of the MakeDo tools and the Ozobots donated by partners of the Imagination Foundation. As we expand the offerings of our makerspace, I will take into account the materials that meet our students need.  Much like Dinosaur  

No comments:

Post a Comment