Thursday, October 8, 2015

Global Cardboard Challenge - Our Original Guidelines


I had a few guidelines for students when introducing the Global Cardboard Challenge.

Share.
Be nice to others.
You may work together.
Try not to waste lots of paper. (This one should really say supplies.)
No swords or other weapons.
Don’t destroy other people’s work.
Sorry, but you can’t take it with you.
Someone may end up adding to yours later this week.

While students were a bit disappointed to find out they were not going to get to take these creations home with them, most of them seemed to understand.  There is just no way we could send these things home on the buses. I did not want to let some people take theirs while others couldn't. To ease the pain I have taken hundreds of photos. 

There had not been a problem with the rules until today, the fourth day. The biggest concern was that students wanted to take home their creations.  It seemed like EVERYONE wanted to take theirs home with them!  I wanted to be fair and since the other students (Days 1-3) couldn’t, I didn’t want to change my rules mid-way. I know where I messed up with one class. They were a few minutes late and it was the last class of my week in the art room. I hurried through the introduction and did not get to my rules. (Note to self: Guidelines/rules are very important!)

Some other “Aha! Moments”:

My K/1 students had so much fun playing with the older students’ creations and then dismantling them.  I wanted to save the MakeDo screws for next year and we needed to clean up some today. (Thanks to my fellow Imagination Chapter leader who posted this idea.) Students did have a choice to create or to work with the screws and creations.

I also had some second graders help me move some of the projects from the art room to my building. It looked like a parade and it looked AWESOME.

Some students pleaded with me to let them take their game out to the playground next week. They want to bring in their own toys as prizes.  :D

I was very, very impressed with the fourth graders’ projects. I will be seeing 3rd and 5th grade next week, so I can’t wait to see what they make.

So many classes want to continue these projects the next time they come to media. Many kids would have been happy to work all day on their projects.

The best part is that so many kids are going home and making new creations! 


So thoughts for next year…

Now that teachers have seen it, is there a way to incorporate this as a classroom activity? One teacher asked if she could bring her class back for some extra time to build. I have a resource room near the media center that is used by tutors.  I have wanted to turn it into a full-time makerspace but I haven't had time yet.

Is there a way to add paint? We did not have time to get out the paint this week. 

Could there be a size restriction so that students could take home their projects?  (Example: It has to fit in your bookbag.)

Will I stick to the upper grades for next year’s challenge?

I need to add more time for others’ to play the games and check out other students’ designs.

Could we add a parade?  That was really the most exciting part!

But yes, most definitely, I see a 2016 Global Cardboard Challenge in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment